10 toxic foods for dogs – time to resist those puppy dog eyes

We list the poisonous foods your pooch shouldn’t be snacking on

So many of us are guilty of feeding our dogs human food because we simply can’t resist their puppy-dog eyes when we are snacking on some of our favourite foods or drinks.

Or our curious little pooches simply manage to get hold of some human treats that they shouldn’t be eating – some of these may even result in a visit to the vet.

Speaking of vet visits, we know how pricey these can be – unless you have pet insurance. If this is not something you’ve looked into yet, we highly recommend Oneplan Pet Insurance because they pay you BEFORE your day-to-day vet visits, meaning you won’t have to worry about vet expenses in emergencies like these.

10 toxic foods for dogs

While some foods may be OK for our pets (although it is still best for your beloved fur kid to stick to a balanced dog food diet), we have put together a list of 10 foods that your beloved canine companion should NOT be chomping on:

1.     Alcohol

We all know that alcohol takes a toll on the human liver, but the thing is – it does the same kind of damage to a dog’s liver. Any drinks or food than contain even the smallest amount of alcohol can result in vomiting, diarrhoea, central nervous system issues, problems with coordination, issues with breathing, coma, and perhaps even death – it’s very serious. And of course, the smaller the dog, the greater the effect.

So, although Bruno is your best buddy, he should NOT be your best drinking buddy. Ever.

Discover: 6 Important Things to Know About Pet Diabetes

2.     Bones

A number of us may have grown up giving our dogs bones from left over meals we have eaten and thought this was a great treat for them, good for their teeth and kept them occupied for hours.

But the truth is, bones are one of the most dangerous foods for our dogs. Bones can lead to tooth fractures, can splinter or damage the digestive lining, and are also choking hazards. The symptoms of intestinal issues such as obstruction are often vomiting, not eating, diarrhoea and weakness that are seen soon after eating.

3.     Caffeine

Coffee might be the best way to start your day, or perhaps you prefer an energy drink, but caffeinated foods and beverages can result in caffeine poisoning for your dog. The symptoms of caffeine poisoning include:

  • Restlessness
  • Heart palpitations
  • Muscle tremors
  • Rapid breathing

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then you need to take him or her to your vet.

4.     Chocolate

Even though many of us cannot live without chocolate, it is certainly something your tail-wagging fur kid should never have and here’s why…

The issue with your dog eating chocolate (even white chocolate) is that it contains theobromine – theobromine is a molecule made by plants. It’s most famous for being one of the many compounds naturally found in chocolate. Even small amounts of chocolate can result in vomiting and diarrhoea for you dog.

The symptoms of theobromine poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Excessive thirst
  • Abnormal heart rate
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Death

The most dangerous forms of chocolate are dark and unsweetened baking chocolate like cocoa – so the next time you let your little four-pawed pal lick the mixing bowl, think again.

5.     Raisins and grapes (FYI – raisins are dried up grapes)

Many dogs seem to LOVE the taste of grapes and raisins and will often rush to pick them up when they drop on the floor. Research has shown, however, that even a small amount of grapes can be poisonous to dogs. Some of the symptoms to watch for include:

  • Repeated vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Depression

Related: How Do I Know My Dog is in Pain? 8 Signs

6.     Macadamia Nuts

We are not sure why these tasty nuts are bad for our dogs, but the fact of the matter is that they are poisonous to our pooches. As few as just 6 of these tasty nuts could result in your dog being ill. Symptoms of macadamia poisoning include:

  • Muscle tremors
  • Weakness
  • Paralysis of back legs
  • Fever
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Vomiting

7.     Onions and Garlic

This might seem a bit strange as some of us may believe that garlic and/or onions are a natural remedy for our dogs in protecting them from fleas. However, these two foods do not have any effect on fleas. The thing with these dangerous foods is that they can destroy your dog’s red blood cells which can result in anaemia. Eating large quantities once or eating smaller amounts regularly can result in poisoning.

Your dog may be suffering from anaemia if he or she shows signs of:

  • Little interest in food
  • Breathlessness
  • Dullness
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting

So, let’s leave the garlic for fending off vampires.

8.     Pits and Seeds from Fruit

The thing with seeds and pits is that they can result in choking and intestinal obstruction which may need surgery to be removed.

The symptoms of intestinal obstruction include:

  • Not eating
  • Weakness
  • Diarrhoea

Pits such as peaches, plums and nectarines also contain a toxic substance to both humans and dogs which is known as cyanide. So, we advise that you chuck these in the bin and into the compost heap.

9.     Xylitol

A newfound fad that goes hand in hand with Banting and other low-carb high-fat diets is Xylitol. But the thing is that this can be a deadly sugar substitute for your dog to digest.

Xylitol (even in small doses) results in:

  • Vomiting
  • Coordination loss
  • Seizures
  • Liver failure in more severe cases

Keep an eye on the ingredients of products you bring into your home as a lot of products seem to contain this sugar substitute. If you dog eats any, get him or her to the vet immediately.

10.  Yeast Dough

The thing with yeast dough is that it can swell in your pooch’s stomach and result in severe pain. Try to resist the urge to give your dog some fresh dough before baking your bread as this could end up in a lot of pain on their part.

Our fur kids are naturally curious creatures and when they’re not sniffing something, they might be eating it. As their paw parents, we need to be as careful as possible in ensuring they don’t eat anything they are not supposed to.

If your beloved pooch has eaten something bad for them or is showing some of the above-mentioned symptoms, get them to your local vet (and the best part is that if you have pet insurance – you won’t have to fork out a hefty bill at the end of it).

Yours in Not-so-average Pet Advice,

The Petinsurance.co.za Team