The way to your dog’s heart is through his stomach (literally). Food is the food of love when it comes to our furry family members. To help spread some love, we have put together the pawfect list of dog-friendly recipes to treat your precious pooch this Valentine’s Day.
Your dog showers you in unconditional love and you try to do the same. But the one thing you are able to do that your precious pooch can’t is make him some delectable and dog-friendly treats. So put on your dog chef apron and whip out those baking utensils – it’s time to spread some love!
Here are some Valentine’s Day Treat Ideas for Your Fur Baby
Strawberry yoghurt balls
These no-bake treats come together in a matter of minutes (11 to be exact). They are a healthy treat, tummy-friendly and packed with goodness.
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour (pop normal oats in a blender to make your own flour)
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup plain yoghurt (make sure it is not sweetened with sugar or xylitol)
- 4 large strawberries
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Mix all of your ingredients in your blender or food processor until combined.
- Use a spoon to scoop out bite-sized portions. You can then begin to create the balls by hand (make sure to make these the best size for your dog).
- Pop them in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you want a fancy looking treat, then you can roll the balls in coconut flakes before putting them in the fridge to set.
Peanut butter coconut balls
It seems like we are pretty coconuts for coconut! These treats consist of only 4 ingredients and 4 simple steps to making a scrumptious and delicious treat for your dog that you will love too!
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (unsalted and unsweetened is best and make sure there is no xylitol)
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut (coconut flakes)
- Add coconut oil, peanut butter and oats into to food processor or blender and mix until combined.
- Use a spoon to scoop out bite-sized portions and use your hands to roll these into small balls. Roll each ball through the shredded coconut.
- Place the balls on a flat tray, using baking paper to line it and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Peanut butter and bacon cookies
This drool-worthy recipe will have your precious pooch jumping for more! Feel free to double the ingredients and freeze in a sealed container for treat time.
- 1 cup oat flour (make your own by using your blender and blending up some normal oats)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (unsalted and unsweetened is best and make sure there is no xylitol)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 pieces cooked streaky bacon (shoulder bacon can also work)
- 1 large, shredded carrot
- Preheat your oven to 180-degrees Celsius.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine all your wet ingredients until blended. Add both flours to wet mixture to form dough.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of plastic wrap or lightly floured work surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out with a dog bone shaped cookie cutter, or your desired shape. Place treats 1 inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container or re-sealable plastic bag for up to one week, or freeze.
We hope your furry Valentine feels absolutely spoiled by these scrumptious treats, and we wish you both a Happy Valentine’s Day!
Read this next: Should You Get Pet Insurance? 4 Reasons That Point to Yes
Yours in Not-So-Average Pet Advice,
The Petinsurance.co.za Team